The Hughes Group, Westport, Co. Mayo, Ireland is seeking to appoint a Chief Executive Officer for ‘Westport House’ and ‘Hotel Westport’ with the aim of developing ‘Westport House’ into a leading, recognisable international brand and destination. When completed, the world-renowned Country House and its 400-acre estate will be a state-of-the-art resort, complete with Museum, Conference Centre and Events Centre.The proposed facility will cater for large and small conferences, large outdoor concerts and other events, and will be tailored to become a family-friendly tourist destination.Westport House itself will be developed as a Museum House that can also cater for large, high-end conferences and weddings. The objective is to attract up to one million tourists per annum so additional restaurant and retail facilities will be built close to the house to cater for this extra traffic. Hotel Westport will also double in size and other tourist-related facilities will be built using existing older buildings where possible.The large 400-acre estate is situated between the town of Westport and the picturesque town harbour. The woodland setting, which includes a river running through the estate, and with Westport House fronted by a lake, lends itself to many different types of tourist attractions and events. We believe that this unique location, along with Westport’s impressive and award-winning reputation as a tourism hub, makes this project the most exciting tourist-related development to come on the Irish market in many years.The directors have set a budget of €50 million to achieve these aims and objectives, and additional resources can be made available if the business plans justify same.About Westport HouseOriginal house was built in 1679. Current house designed in 1729 by Richard Cassels who also designed Leinster House and Carton House.Westport House was the first stately home to open to the public in 1960 and has welcomed more than 4 million visitors since.ResponsibilitiesThe new CEO will be responsible for the management of the businesses and strategic projects, the leadership and direction of the operational teams, overseeing the marketing strategies, the management, and reporting of all financial affairs of the businesses, and meeting the long-term objectives for the business. The ideal candidate will have a track record of success in the modern economy. Responsibilities include:
- Generating the vision and strategic business plan with the Board of Directors, incorporating major development plans, development of the company strategy, financial targets, company expenditure, investment and management resourcing and development.
- Fully oversee major renovation project according to plans agreed with the Board.
- Exploit new and existing markets to grow the businesses.
- Build and develop strong relationships with local and industry stakeholders/partners
- Providing vision and leadership in long-range fiscal planning (5-10 years).
- Evaluating projects to determine financial and commercial viability – ultimately seeking best return on investment.
- Leading the development of a positive, inclusive workplace culture.
- Leading and overseeing the production of an annual marketing plan to develop ‘Westport House’ into a leading, recognisable international brand and destination.
- Publicly represent the brand.
- Attend and present results/strategy at the meeting of the Board of Directors.
- Provide leadership and vision by assisting the Board with the development of long range and annual plans, and with the evaluation and reporting of progress against plans.
- Ensure the integrity of all IT systems and development future IT plans.
- Level 8 Business qualification and/or higher qualification in relevant discipline and/or 8- 10 years’ management experience at an appropriate level preferably working with a Board of Directors.
- Proven track record of achieving success and growth — revenue and profit growth in commercial areas.
- Proven leadership qualities and excellent people management skills.
- Innovative, entrepreneurial with drive and decision-making skills.
SalaryA highly attractive salary package is available.Apply for this job.