Data Protection Officer
Group Data Protection Officer
Date: 13 December 2016
Closing date: 13 January 2017
Location: Belfast or Dublin
Viridian is the leading independent energy company in the all-Ireland market. With an annual turnover of circa €2 Billion and employing 580 staff across NI and ROI, the Viridian Group is one of Ireland’s Top 50 Businesses. The Group comprises Power NI, Power NI Power Procurement Business and the Energia Group of Supply, Generation and Renewables companies. Together, we supply c. 25% of Ireland’s business energy markets.
As a Great Place to Work, and one of Ireland’s 20 Best Large Employers, our people are at the heart of our business – we offer competitive reward packages, an extensive Health & Wellbeing programme, and support for your on-going learning and development. We also offer a welcoming working environment built around high-performing teams, and the scope to grow your career and take on new challenges.
As a forward thinking and innovative organisation, Viridian businesses have been first to market with many major initiatives in the Irish energy sector in the last 15 years. It’s a trend we plan to continue, through the drive, talent and energy of our exceptional people.
Viridian has a permanent vacancy for a Group Data Protection Officer. This is a newly created position and provides a great opportunity for someone to develop their career in an innovative organisation operating across Ireland.
Based in Dublin or Belfast, and reporting to the Company Secretary, the successful candidate will be responsible for the protection of Viridian Group’s data in accordance with regulatory requirements and best practice, and drive business readiness to meet the requirements of the forthcoming EU General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”).
The successful candidate will also have responsibility for strengthening and driving continuous improvement regarding the Group’s data protection controls, policies and procedures as well as enhancing data protection awareness and co-ordination of training.
The main duties associated with this role are:
• Assume responsibility for data protection compliance throughout Viridian in accordance with data protection regulations in Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland
• Ensure the Group is fully prepared for GDPR implementation in May 2018
-Oversee a gap analysis between current systems and processes and the requirements of GDPR
-Embed the concept of Privacy by Design into business strategy and development
-Determine how and when Privacy Impact Assessments (“PIAs”) should be carried out and conduct and monitor the performance of PIAs when necessary
• Be responsible for the development and implementation of data protection policies, notices and procedures, overseeing their implementation, maintenance and adherence
• Manage the investigation of data breaches, reporting and resolution as and when required
• Chair and manage the Group’s Data Protection Forum
• Provide regular updates to the Group’s Risk Management Committee, Audit Committee and Management on data protection obligations and compliance
• Responsible for managing strong working relationships with the ICO in Northern Ireland and the DPCO in the Republic of Ireland
• Responsible for ensuring all staff are fully trained in regards to privacy and data protection
What we are looking for
The successful candidate is required to be able to demonstrate the following:
• A relevant degree and/or professional qualification in Data Protection such as CIPP/E, CISM, CIPT or equivalent AND/OR substantial experience in a data protection/privacy and/or similar risk management or compliance related role
• Expert knowledge of data protection regulations, data privacy requirements and best practice and the latest developments in these areas
• Experience in the development of and/or the detailed assessment of policies, processes, procedures and controls
Additionally you should also possess the following competencies:
• Practical and creative approach to problem solving, risk mitigation and change management
• Possess strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to effectively share knowledge
• Be highly motivated, self-driven and capable of demonstrating initiative
• Possess high standards of professional integrity and reliability
• Ability to demonstrate a high level of accuracy and excellent attention to detail
• Highly organised with strong skills in prioritising and managing workload to meet organisational requirements
• Be able to demonstrate strong influencing skills, work autonomously, manage potential conflicts with sensitivity, and reconcile compliance requirements with business needs
• Experience in project management planning and implementation
• Experience in co-ordinating and or designing and delivering staff training
This role will require a considerable degree of commitment, flexibility and adaptability on the part of the postholder. The duties of the post may change and develop over time in order to meet changing business needs.
Benefits and Location
The post will be offered on a Personal Contract basis and will include an attractive benefits package, including a salary to reflect the skills and experience of the successful candidate. The post can be based in either Newforge Lane, Belfast or Ashtowngate, Dublin and will require regular travel to the Group’s office locations in Belfast and Dublin.
How to apply
To apply, please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5.00pm on Friday 13 January 2017 quoting “Group Data Protection Officer” in the subject line. Please ensure you clearly demonstrate how you meet the above criteria in your CV.
Please also complete the attached Monitoring Information Form by clicking on the ‘Download Application Pack’ button below and return this to email@example.com including your National Insurance Number.
You will also need to include your National Insurance Number on your CV, if either of the aforementioned steps are not completed your application will not be processed.
Viridian Group are an equal opportunities employer.Apply for this job.