The purpose of this role is to manage the Business Finance function, ensuring proper financial governance across the production and retail sites. The role holder will work closely with the General Manager as well as the site and retail management teams and Karro group finance director, in relation to the financial impact of all commercial and operational matters.
The role holder will act as the key contact for all finance related matters, both internally within the production site and retail stores and externally with other sites or with group, proactively implementing and monitoring all operational processes to ensure vigorous validation and reconciliation providing relevant, accurate and timely information to ensure the efficient running of the business.
The role holder will oversee the Site Finance team and focus on the achievement of best practice, as well as benchmarking against other organisations.
Key Tasks & Responsibilities:
- Develop and maintain a strong working relationship with the Site and Retail Management teams, ensuring the provision of accurate financial information and assisting in strategic planning to support the effective running of the operation.
- Liaise with other Karro Site Finance teams to ensure best practice is shared and adopted across business units.
- Create and maintain a working environment that encourages discretionary effort that contributes to the success of the business, creating a feel of real ownership.
- Management, establishing two way communication and accurate provision of information to support the efficient running and continuous improvement of the site and stores.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with all functions including, Commercial, Production, Technical, HR, Planning, NPD and Health and Safety.
- Work with the senior management team to develop and implement strategies for the growth of the business while improving the return on the shareholder’s investment.
- Work with the senior management team to plan and implement working capital targets which will improve the cash flow of the business.
- Work closely with the General Manager on any projects potentially impacting on the performance of the Sites.
- Work closely with the Management team in relation to the financial impact of all commercial and operational matters to ensure the maximisation of business performance.
Financial Audits and Process System Maintenance
- Reconciliation and auditing of financial control information, providing accurate information to internal site departments and group management and meeting all reporting deadlines.
- Maintain an up to date knowledge of the Karro Group accounting and control methodology and implement processes to ensure the requirements of the manual are met across the McGee’s site.
- Provide financial governance and control for all aspects of the site in line with the Group accountancy manual and generally accepted accountancy policies in the U.K and Republic of Ireland.
- Maintain true and accurate financial records and audit trails for all statutory, internal and external auditing purposes.
- Proactively seek opportunities for continuous improvement throughout the finance department, identifying and implementing best practise initiatives.
- Work with the senior management team to prepare the annual budget and quarterly forecasts to agreed deadlines, which are stretching but realistic and in line business guidelines.
- Work with the senior management team to deliver the agreed annual budget and quarterly forecasts and when necessary provide analysis of variances from budget / forecast.
People and Organisation
- Motivation, training, recruitment and selection for better performance and effective service. Encourage the training and continuous development of all members of the finance team and ensure that performance and development reviews are conducted in line with required timescales agreeing annual (SMART) objectives.
- Support the team in the implementation of new initiatives, driving a best practice approach at all times.
- Through support of company development programmes and through site led training and communication, supporting an environment for the team to contribute to success with ownership by all employees within the business.
Good Citizenship and Responsible Care
- To ensure activities meet with and integrate with organisational requirements for quality management, health and safety, legal stipulations, environmental policies and general duty of care.
- To ensure that within Finance the reputation of the Company is kept in line with the Karro company code of conduct.
Specific Skill Requirements
- Fully Qualified Accountant (ACA, ACCA, CIMA) or equivalent with at least 5 years post qualification experience.
- Commercially driven.
- Strong IT and systems knowledge with a skill set to effectively implement financial software projects.
- FMCG finance experience.
- Progressive track record of successfully operating at senior level within a food and/or retail environment.
- Experience of working with government bodies/ financial institutions to deliver assistance/ financial packages.
- Previous experience of managing senior financial personnel.
- Standards and systems: Sets high standards and champions the team to adhere to these standards.
- Finance: Financial qualification and high level of financial literacy essential.
- Customer and consumer focus: Is commercially aware and knowledgeable in industry standards, with clear understanding of the ‘internal customer’.
- Leadership and communication: Is able to provide clear direction and leadership across the Finance team, and to communicate effectively with staff at all levels.
- Commitment to process and results: Is committed to process improvement, continually analysing processes and driving change where required.
- Team working: Demonstrates ability to work as a key member of the business team as well as leading own functional teams. To recognise the value and contribution of the other departments and functions within the site and wider business. Promote good working relationships and communications at all times.
- Information management: Displays knowledge of accounting standards and leads the finance team to utilise data in a timely and accurate manner to meet these standards.
- HSE: Demonstrates understanding and awareness of HSE.
- Computer systems: Strong IT knowledge with a desire to improve systems to the benefit of the Finance team. High level of competency in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Professional Attitude: Ability to maintain a professional attitude at all times
- Strong working relationships with line managers are a key success factor in this role to build a high level of mutual trust of confidence which allows effective delivery of the Finance strategy and plan
- Able to demonstrate communication and influencing skills at a senior level
- Facilitation and presentation skills at a senior level
- Able to demonstrate ability to work on own initiative and manage their time effectively
- Good team working skills
- Able to work within an agreed established framework and cope with pressure, taking responsibility for decisions and owning the account plans.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to report accurately.
- Demonstrable skills of managing and developing a team.
- IT Literate
- High levels of professionalism, integrity and ethical awareness.
- Determined and resilient, with the drive to complete tasks.
- Excellent analytical and numeric skills together with the ability to identify and interpret market trends
- Able to travel to all McGee’s locations to fulfill the role