Principal Data Scientist Manager
Principal Data Scientist [Manager]
Are you good at math and statistics? Do you love logical problem solving and intellectual challenges? Do you like questioning people’s assumptions and have curiosity to know Why? Are you passionate about data and the technology? Do you think you have the focus and attention to detail but also the ability to see the big picture? Are you excited by the environment of a start-up organization within the walls of a 140-year company? If so, we have a unique and exciting opportunity for you. As a data scientist, this is your chance to drive innovation, solve high impact business problems, promote data-driven decision-making and help prepare the company for the next 140 years.
The role requires a rare combination of deep and sophisticated analytical expertise; business acumen; strategic mind set; client, relationship, and project management; and a passion for building new capabilities, and teams. This is an exciting opportunity to be a part of a new strategic initiative that will evolve and grow over time. One of the primary responsibilities for this position includes building the framework for, as well as sourcing, leading and presenting forward-thinking, high-impact Data Analytics projects focused on supporting key strategic initiatives for Our Client’s US businesses. This is a very hands-on role, with adequate opportunities to coach, mentor and develop junior team members.
• Building best-in-class predictive models and decision tools to address business needs by leveraging state-of-the-art machine learning and statistical algorithms
• Demonstrate and maintain in-depth knowledge of the business success drivers, industry trends, regulatory issues, and the competitive marketplace.
• Focus on arming business partners with fact-based decision making and enabling them to quickly and nimbly make
• changes, as appropriate, that may affect diverse business areas, from customer behavior to risk management, to pricing and other business strategies
• Communicate findings in to key stakeholders, leaders and team members from both technical and non-technical backgrounds.
• Keeping pace with developments in the analytics field and actively seeking out novel methodologies and technologies.
• Manage project plans, timelines, and client relationships to ensure projects are delivered with the highest quality, on time and within budget.
• Help hire & develop a team of best-in-class analytics professionals; mentor junior staff; create learning & development opportunities.
• Expertise in statistical modeling techniques such as linear regression, logistic regression, generalized linear models, tree models (CART, MART), data visualization, cluster analysis, principal components and feature creation, validation.
• Programming experience with SQL/Python/R/SAS and/or other relevant languages (e.g. Java, Pig, Scala).
• Ability to train, develop, and teach more junior data scientists.
• Well-developed written and oral communication skills, with ability to present and explain data to business managers, with fluency in Microsoft business applications (Word/PowerPoint/Excel).
• Project management experience.
• Some prior exposure to financial services or insurance industry desired.
• Highly motivated self-starter
To discuss this Principal Data Scientist role in confidence please call James Goodman on 02890 725634